GoDiagram on Mac

We currently have an application that hosts GoWin in IE. We want to extend the same functionality to Mac/Safari. So we are considering two alternatives: GoWeb and GoSilverlight.

We are a little wary of using GoWeb for two reasons: (1) The app is highly interactive (2) It displays a tree that can get pretty deep and pretty wide, and hence wary about the performance implications with repeated postbacks (haven’t really understood or tried GoWeb, so I am more ignorant than anything at this point).

And this brings me to Silverlight. From my understanding, when you release the Silverlight version, I can extend the GoWin/IE functionality to Mac/Safari. Correct? I understand that there will be certain restrictions dictated by the browser-sandbox environment in which Silverlight operates. Also, is there a rough estimate of when the Silverlight version will be released?

Thanks

As you point out, GoDiagram Web does not support continuous (real-time) graphical interaction. So if your application is “highly interactive”, how well the application will work using GoDiagram Web will depend on the nature of those “highly interactive” behaviors.

How large a tree might it be? How complex is each node? The overhead is on the server for a GoDiagram Web application. If you cannot use the “in-process” model for session state, the overhead for large graphs consists mostly of deserializing/serializing the GoView and GoDocument.

Silverlight applications naturally support a different partitioning of the application functionality, since all of the user-interface can be run locally. I suppose you already have this partitioning in your current GoDiagram Win application, if it is running from within IE. It isn’t a click-once application, is it? You are probably already living within a lot of the same restrictions that a Silverlight application must run under.

But your GoDiagram Win code will not port to Silverlight. However, I am finding that developing with GoXam for Silverlight is more productive than using GoDiagram Win or Web for the more complex applications – where there are complicated nodes.

One caution is that Silverlight is distinctly slower than WPF, and that is reflected in our experience with the same applications running with GoSilverlight compared to running with GoWPF.

I’ll send you a pointer via e-mail.