Limit node movement

Hi,

I'm trying to limit my textNode to move only on the horizontal axis so i override the DoMove function and now it looks like this:
public override void DoMove(GoView view, PointF origLoc, PointF newLoc)
{
newLoc.Y = origLoc.Y; base.DoMove(view, origLoc, newLoc); }
this works fine but i don't want the user to even be able to drag the node on the y axis. i tried to examine the sequence diagram sample but didn't understand whats going on there.
can you help?
Thanks,
Adi

Look at what Demo1.LimitedNode does in ComputeMove.

Jake,
I looked at the demo but overriding computeMove doesn't help my problem. the user can still drag the textNode anywhere on the view. the computeMove function is activated only when the user stop dragging and do the drop. i want to limit the user to drag only on the X axis. the sequenceDiagram sample works fine but i don't understand how did you do that.
Hope i was clear.
Thanks
Adi

GoView.DragsRealtime = true ?

Sure! this solved the problem. last night i dreamt about it and in my dream i figured out that i should use the dragsrealtime prop. and here you are saying just that…

anyway it works fine!
thanks,
Adi

I think i found a Bug!

when i set the dragsRealtime=true if the node is connected to other nodes and you replace the dragging tool to TreeDraggingTool from the sample applications you get a strange behavior of the link. it simply moves away from its original position up or down - very strange (see picture)
this is how it looks when you start dragging:
now look what happens after a while (usually when you stop dragging but keeps the mouse down):
the link starts separating from its nodes moving freely up or down.
if you disable the dragsRealtime (i.e. = false) then everything works fine
what do you say? is it a bug?
most important what is the workaround for it?
is there a simple property i can set in order to cause all the connected nodes to move with the selected one instead of replacing the mouseDragging tool?
thanks,
Adi

TreeDraggingTool works with DragsRealtime=true in TreeApp… so what’s different here? Have you modified TreeDraggingTool?

Hi Jake,

this is the difference:
Modify the TreeAppNode in the TreeApp sample as follows:
public override PointF ComputeMove(PointF origLoc, PointF newLoc) { return new PointF(newLoc.X, origLoc.Y); }
and.... you will get the same unexpected result.
Hope there is a workaround for this problem.
Thanks,
Adi

OK, I can reproduce this in TreeApp, but only if I have the “Moving selection moves subtrees” checkbox enabled, and only if I move a “root” node, not the “leaf” nodes. Does that match what you’re seeing?

I see now…

TreeDraggingTool includes the links in the EffectiveSelection. The code in GoDraggingTool makes the optimization that any link that is in the selection being moved, if both end-nodes are also in the selection, that it doesn’t have to call CalculateRoute as the selection is being dragged.

But, in this case, your node class is limiting the movement to the X direction, and the links aren’t. and GoToolDragging doesn’t see that.

so, in TreeDragginTool.AddReachable… comment out these two lines:

//if (!coll.ContainsKey(link))
// coll.Add(link, link);

Note that GoToolDragging has a property called EffectiveSelectionIncludesLinks that allows control over this, but in this case the TreeDraggingTool in the TreeApp sample just isn’t that sophisticated.

that’s what i like in your tool - anything can be made with the right customization. It works!! thanks you.