Problem with copy/paste between 2 instances of app

I have an application which uses (derived classes of) GoIconicNodes on a GoView, connected by GoLabeledLinks. Within this application, I am able to copy/paste without problems.

If I have 2 separate instances of my application then I have a problem: It works if the selection is only comprised of nodes and not links. However, if the selection is entire block of connected nodes (nodes and links), then GoView.PasteFromCollection() returns null.
Do you have any suggestions as to why this might be happening or the best approach to debug this problem?
Thanks in advance,
-Darren Jones

Well, that should work. If you try it with two different instances of Demo1, it does work. So I wonder what’s different about the links in your application.

Presumably they are serializable, otherwise you wouldn't have gotten copy/paste to work within a single application.
GoView.PasteFromClipboard only returns null if there's nothing accessible on the clipboard, or if the GoDocument.DataFormat format data from the clipboard is not a (deserialized) GoDocument.
Are there any trace listener messages during the call to GoView.PasteFromClipboard?

I have never used trace listeners. What do I need to do to obtain any trace listener messages during PasteFromClipboard()?

Thanks,
-Darren

The Debug Output window in Visual Studio is a trace listener. You can also implement your own – read about them in the Microsoft .NET documentation.

Well, after some more debugging, it appears that the problem was from the obfuscation we had done to our executable.

Thanks for the help.

Well, now I am now able to reproduce this with the unobfuscated version so it is not obfuscation. The only message I get in the Output panel during PasteFromClipboard is:

A first chance exception of type 'System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException' occurred in mscorlib.dll

Check out the topic: http://www.nwoods.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1394

Sorry for the delayed response. I was on vacation last week.
I finally figured out my problem, but I’m not sure how it was related to that thread you posted since I didn’t have any GoView references or other non-serializable controls within the GoIconicNode or GoLabeledLink derived classes I was copying/pasting.
Turns out my problem was that I was using 2 different versions of my application, and one of the versions had a couple of extra properties on one of the GoIconicNode derived classes. This was the version I was pasting into, so when it tried to deserialize those properties from the clipboard it was getting the SerializationException.
I found the problem by turning on Visual Studio / Debug / Exceptions / Break when an exception is Thrown for System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException. This caused a break at the correct place so that I could see the property that caused the problem.
Thanks for trying to help.