Visual Studio 2012 RC1 VerificationException

Hi,
We are transition to Visual Studio 2012 in our company. We just install VS 2012 (11) RC on our machine but did not convert the projects yet.
When we open our project and run it we get VerificationException with the message “operation could destabilize the runtime” from Northwoods.GoXam.LinkPanel…ctor

Have you encounter such a problem?
We are still using Visual Studio 2012 SP1 to compile the project.

Thank you,
Ido

I’m not sure if it is the same bug or not, but there is a serious incompatibility with .NET 4.0 applications in .NET 4.5 RC that unfortunately affects all GoXam for WPF applications. They claim that bug is fixed in the officially released .NET 4.5.
I’m sorry, but you will need to wait until it (and Visual Studio 2012) comes out.

Thank you for the quick response.
Do you have link to article about it? maybe ways around it?

This post talk about possible assembly wide attribute that may be applied to your library to work around this problem. Do you think it is possible to apply it, just until this issue will be fixed?

This is more serious than I though. Any user who install .NET 4.5 on his/her computer will not be able to use the application parts that has GoXam controls in them.
I’ve open Microsoft Connect issue, hope they can shade some light about this problem.

Ido

This talks about the issue that Microsoft claims to have fixed. I do not know if it is the same as yours.
Known Problems with .NET 4.5?

In my case the problem is that installing .NET 4.5 will cause our compiled binaries to stop work due to exception thrown by .NET runtime when try to instantiate GoXam class.
If you can try it your self it will be very helpful. Just compile your simplest sample (GoWpfBasic) and run it on computer with .NET 4.0, then install .NET 4.5 and run the same compiled same. It should work just fix due to SxS (side by side) but for what I’ve seen it will throw an System.Security.VerificationException: Operation could destabilize the runtime

Thank you,
Ido

Hello Walter,
The Connect issue with microsoft is still in progress. They don’t have any solution yet.
Is it possible to try and add the attributes as I describe in the link above to see if it fix the issue?

Thank you,
Ido.

The security attributes that the forum topic you referenced talked about do not seem relevant.
Until we all receive a. NET 4.5 that fixes the BAML problem that we know prevents proper operation of GoXam apps, I do not see how experimenting with security attributes is going to help us.

I understand your point. It is release candidate but not the final bits.
I also understand that this is most likely Microsoft issue because SxS suppose to prevent this issue exactly.
I hope the connect issue will at least raise Microsoft awareness about this issue.
I’ll wait for the final .NET 4.5 and VS2012 and hopefully it will resolve the issue all together.

Ido.

Hi,
VS 2012 has just been released. I’m downloading it and will check if the problem has been solved.
Have you try it yourself already?
Thank you,
Ido

Hi,
I’m happy to let you know that everything works great with VS2012.
Thank you for your help.

Ido.

Yes, I was relieved to see that too.

Does anyone know for sure if you can install .Net 4.5 and still use VS2010 on existing projects? I’m not really in the mood to re-learn VS again.

Edit: Made an image, downloaded the RTM, and everything appears to be working. I was at least expecting SOMETHING needed to change. Since .Net 4.5 is a drop-in replacement for 4.0, you don’t select 4.0 vs. 4.5 in VS2010, you just select a target of .Net 4.0, clean & rebuild.