Another Asp.net 2.0 license Issue

I keep getting the following error whe trying to generate the App_license.dll

Error 2 C:\dev\ITPLAYBOOK2\Architecture\licenses.l icx: Could not transform licenses file into a binary resource. (2) : error LC0004 : Exception occurred creating type 'Northwoods.GoWeb.Layout.GoLayoutLayeredDigraph, Northwoods.GoWeb.Layout, Version=2.4.1.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a4e3b7b70161cfe8 System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly ‘Northwoods.GoWeb, Version=2.4.1.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a4e3b7b70161cfe8’ or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: ‘Northwoods.GoWeb, Version=2.4.1.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a4e3b7b70161cfe8’
at System.ComponentModel.LicenseManager.CreateWithContext(Type type, LicenseContext creationContext, Object[] args)
at System.ComponentModel.LicenseManager.CreateWithContext(Type type, LicenseContext creationContext)
at System.Tools.LicenseCompiler.GenerateLicenses(String fileContents, String targetPE, ITypeResolutionService resolver, DesigntimeLicenseContext ctx)
WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!Enab… C:\dev\ITPLAYBO OK2\Architecture\licenses.licx http://localhost/Architecture/

Here is the lic file:

Northwoods.GoWeb.GoView, Northwoods.GoWeb, Version=2.4.1.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a4e3b7b70161cfe8
Northwoods.GoWeb.Layout.GoLayoutLayeredDigraph, Northwoods.GoWeb.Layout, Version=2.4.1.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a4e3b7b70161cfe8

One more thing - sometimes shutodwn VS 2005 and re-starting works. But not always. Has anyone else had problems?

That’s pretty weird. I hadn’t heard of (or seen) that before. Sounds like a VS2005 caching bug. I assume you have checked that both the Northwoods.GoWeb and Northwoods.GoWeb.Layout assemblies are present in the bin subdirectory.
If you want to debug this, you do need to turn on assembly bind logging. I have found that to be informative, at least when you only enable logging for failures.

I had a similar problem when I had the App_Licenses.dll under source control and not checked out. The VS 2005 environment will not override the source control lock to update the dll. Are you using source control in the project?