Go Run Time license

I’m trying to move our application to run time machine. I have followed Go Document " GoDiagram Win Introduction" for Go license deployment, but I’m not successful. I moved Go Sample, “Demo1” to run time machine and run, I got error “Application has generated an exception that could not be handeled”, I moved my application to run time machine, I got same error, “Application has generated an exception that could not be handeled”.
If I run an application without using Go package at run time machine, it runs OK. So I know this is something releated with Go, but I have no clue what is wrong, I need help!
Wendy

If you build the samples using the BuildSamples.bat command file, do the resulting .EXEs run without error on your run-time machine?
If they do, then you know the problem is just in how you configured your application.
Did you check the version numbers of the DLLs and those listed in the LICENSES.LICX file that is in your .EXE’s project? That GoWinIntro.doc file is pretty detailed–perhaps you missed something?

1. I manually run BuildSamples.bat in Command Window which I opened from Visual Studio .NET tolls, and moved .EXEs to run time machine, so I know this not the problem.
  2. I varified LICENSES.LICX file, the version number is
    Version=2.2.1.0
    which matchs the DLLs version number 2.2.1.0. of Northwood.Go in my Visual Studio .NET
  3. How do trace which part of program has exception on my run time machine?
    Wendy
  1. OK, so you are saying that the executables built by the BuildSamples.bat command file run fine anywhere. That’s good. That means you have a valid license on your machine and the Microsoft License Compiler is working correctly. So there’s just something wrong with your project.
  2. And that’s the same DLL you deployed with your app, right? And the LICENSES.LICX file is an EmbeddedResource in your .EXE’s project?
  3. What’s the complete error message?

Thanks. Walter.

1. I’m sorry that I confused you, the EXEs built by the BuildSamples.bat command file DO NOT run. It generate the error “Application has generated an exception that could not be handeled” on run time machine.
  2. What does it mean “the LICENSES.LICX file is an EmbeddedResource in your .EXE’s project?”, how do I check it.
  3. The complete error message is “Application has generated an exception that could not be handeled”
    Wendy
    <?:namespace prefix = v ns = “urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml” /><v:shape id=_x0000_t75 stroked=“f” filled=“f” path=“m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe” o:preferrelative=“t” o:spt=“75” coordsize=“21600,21600”> <v:stroke joinstyle=“miter”></v:stroke><v:ulas><v:f eqn=“if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0”></v:f><v:f eqn=“sum @0 1 0”></v:f><v:f eqn=“sum 0 0 @1”></v:f><v:f eqn=“prod @2 1 2”></v:f><v:f eqn=“prod @3 21600 pixelWidth”></v:f><v:f eqn=“prod @3 21600 pixelHeight”></v:f><v:f eqn=“sum @0 0 1”></v:f><v:f eqn=“prod @6 1 2”></v:f><v:f eqn=“prod @7 21600 pixelWidth”></v:f><v:f eqn=“sum @8 21600 0”></v:f><v:f eqn=“prod @7 21600 pixelHeight”></v:f><v:f eqn=“sum @10 21600 0”></v:f></v:ulas><v:path o:connect=“rect” gradientshapeok=“t” o:extrusionok=“f”></v:path><?:namespace prefix = o ns = “urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office” /><o:lock aspectratio=“t” v:ext=“edit”></o:lock></v:shape>

Oh–that changes things! If BuildSamples.bat doesn’t produce licensed (sample) applications, then either
A: on your development machine your installation of GoDiagram Win isn’t right, or you don’t have a valid license key installed using the GoDiagram License Manager.
OR
B: something’s wrong with your installation of the .NET runtime on your target machine, or with the files that you deployed.
2. In the Solution Explorer, select the LICENSES.LICX file and look at its Properties.
3. That’s weird. Makes it look like it’s more a 1.B problem. Try a different machine that doesn’t have any .NET development software installed.

Thanks again, Walter.

1. I don’t think our installation of the .NET runtime on the target machine has problems, as I told you in my first post, I have run a application WITHOUT using GO, on our target machine, it runs normal.
  2. It looks like we sould put effort on running GO samples on our target machine.
  3. if in case of what you suspected,
    A: on your development machine your installation of GoDiagram Win isn’t right, or you don’t have a valid license key installed using the GoDiagram License Manager.
    How do I verify my license key was not installed correctly on my development machine?
  4. I can tell you a little bit history of my development machine. I have run GoWin eveluation version (1.1.2?) before I purchase Go License, After I purchased Go license, I used Control Panel Add/Remove programs to remove old Go evaluation version, and installed Go Win 2.2.1, then followed the instructions for LicenseManager, and installed the key. Does this process look normal to you?
    Wendy

It certainly sounds like you did the right things. The LicenseManager will show you what licenses are installed. What does it show?

Here are what LicenseManager show:
The following licenses are present:
Northwoods.GoPocket 2.2 binary evaluation (2.2.1), development expiring 2004-4-29
Northwoods.GoPocket.Layout 2.2 binary evaluation (2.2.1), development expiring 2004-4-29
Northwoods.Go.Instruments 2.2 binary evaluation (2.2.1), development expiring 2004-4-29
Northwoods.Go 2.2 binary development (2.2.1), upgradable to version 2.2 when available
Northwoods.Go.Layout 2.2 binary development (2.2.1), upgradable to version 2.2 when available

They don’t look right?!
Wendy

That looks fine. What about your LICENSES.LICX file?
Do the sample executables that we ship with the kit run OK on your target machine? Those were compiled with license keys in them.

1. Here is the content of LICENSES.LICX Northwoods.Go.GoView, Northwoods.Go, Version=2.2.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a4e3b7b70161cfe8 Northwoods.Go.GoPalette, Northwoods.Go, Version=2.2.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a4e3b7b70161cfe8 Northwoods.Go.GoOverview, Northwoods.Go, Version=2.2.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a4e3b7b70161cfe8 Northwoods.Go.Layout.GoLayoutForceDirected, Northwoods.Go.Layout, Version=2.2.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a4e3b7b70161cfe8 Northwoods.Go.Layout.GoLayoutLayeredDigraph, Northwoods.Go.Layout, Version=2.2.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a4e3b7b70161cfe8 2. I have tried the sample executables came with Go release on my target machine, they don't run. 3. On my target machine, I put "Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package" which I download from Microsoft, is this enough to run Go samples? or anything else I need on target machine? Thanks, Wendy
  1. That looks fine.
  2. Yes, that should be enough to run all of the GoDiagram sample apps.

After I copied the Northwoods.Go.DLL to the target machine, same directory with executables, both Go sample and my application run.
Thanks a lot!

I am totally confussed with these license.licx files, can anyone tell me what i need to do if i want to generate this. i need a step by step help, i am not a .net guy, i am a build and release person, so i need to understand more about this. please help me

I’ve recently tried to deploy the samples and I can’t get them to work. I was under the impression that I didn’t need to copy the go.dll anywhere else.
Has anyone deployed without copying the GO.dll’s?