Is there a way to specify port "offsets"?

I have a question about ports.

I can add a shape to my node template, position it, and have that be my port. This works great.
I can set a toSpot on my Link which will target a specific spot on that shape. This is also great.

What I can’t quite figure out how to do, is how to use an offset port spot inside of a shape that still does the smart thing where it ends the link line (and arrowhead, more importantly in my case) at the edge of the rendered shape.

Basically, when I set my shape to be my port, the links endpoint seems to be the center of the shape, but its length just hits the edge. This behavior is great.

What I would like, though, is to be able to specify (per link) a point or offset from center inside the port shape that retains this behavior of placing the ends / arrows of my link at the edge of the shape. If i specify a toSpot the automatic edge length behavior seems lost and the ends go right to the specified point regardless of where the edge is. I can’t use toShortLength because my shape is irregular and the link can come in from any angle.

Is this possible?

There isn’t any easy way to do that in version 1.* without overriding Link.getLinkPoint to do what you want.

In version 2, it is easy to do if the offset is a fixed distance (not a fractional distance) from the center of the port. However I was just checking it, and it turns out that the change was not documented and had a bug in it anyways. So if you are able to upgrade to version 2 after the next beta release (which should be next week sometime), then it will be easy for you to specify.

We are deploying production code so it makes me uncomfortable to upgrade to a beta. I’ll keep an eye out for the official release though.

For now, I can try to implement getLinkPoint myself, do you have any pointers or sample code that could help me?

Perhaps we should upgrade to a source license!

mc.

I don’t know – I would search the samples and the forum for overrides of getLinkPoint.