Question about Custom linking tool

Hi, i have a question

I’m dragging a link from a port on a node to connect it to the port on the other node, but i drop the link in the diagram before i connect to the other node, can i catch that drop event with the info which node i’m dragging from?

I did like you recommended. this is the code : http://jsfiddle.net/thanhvu231/ufVUr/4/

I created a custom LinkingTool at the line 303 in the javascript file in the jsfiddle above and try to alert text to see whether it runs or not.

Could you have a look at the CustomLinkingTool and give me some have advice. In this case, i want to catch the failed link when i mouse-up.

Thanks

You had a typo, causing your custom tool not to be used instead of the standard LinkingTool.

Furthermore I have edited the code to do what I think you were trying to do:

function CustomLinkingTool() {
go.LinkingTool.call(this);
}
go.Diagram.inherit(CustomLinkingTool, go.LinkingTool);

myDiagram.toolManager.linkingTool = new CustomLinkingTool();

CustomLinkingTool.prototype.doMouseUp = function() {
if (this.isActive && this.findTargetPort(this.isForwards) === null) {
alert(“No link created”);
this.doCancel();
} else {
go.LinkingTool.prototype.doMouseUp.call(this);
}
};

When nothing seems to have changed and JavaScript is involved, always check for typos.

Great…i really appreciate that :)

Hi, i have another question

when i caught failed link, can i know the position where the mouse do mouse-up or can i have an event variable as in other mouseup function?

this.diagram.lastInput.documentPoint

Thanks. One more thing, in the CustomLinkingTool if it can find the valid port instead of calling the linking tool i want to connect originalfromNode to the temporaryToNode through the whole node as i want not to the port i chose in the first place but i don’t know why the temporaryToNode.data is null while i the temporaryToNode exists

CustomLinkingTool.prototype.doMouseUp = function() {
if (this.isActive && this.findTargetPort(this.isForwards) === null) {

<span =“apple-tab-span”="" style=“white-space:pre”>
} else {
//go.LinkingTool.prototype.doMouseUp.call(this);
<span =“apple-tab-span”="" style=“white-space:pre”> // this.temporaryToNode.data == null ======> ???
}
};

I believe the temporary Nodes and temporary Link are not data bound. They are not part of the Diagram.model, and you would not want them to be.