Use of ToolTip during Link Validation

During Link Creation, I have a method checkLink, which validates formation of a link between any two nodes.
My requirement is, I want to show a text (error Message/Explanation) to hover on top of a node explaining why a link formation isn’t allowed for that node.
How can I achieve it? Will ToolTip suffice my needs or is there any better tool available for this functionality?

Here’s a simple example of a custom linkValidation predicate and overriding two methods on LinkingTool to show and hide a tooltip for a node, all in the initialization of a Diagram:

"linkingTool.linkValidation": function(fromnode, fromport, tonode, toport, link) {
      // a silly link validation predicate -- whether or not the node's data.text includes "e"
      return tonode.data.text.indexOf("e") >= 0;
    },
    "linkingTool.setNoTargetPortProperties": function(tempnode, tempport, toend) {
      go.LinkingTool.prototype.setNoTargetPortProperties.call(this, tempnode, tempport, toend);
      if (!toend) return;  // only bother to show message when linking to a new node
      var node = this.diagram.findPartAt(this.diagram.lastInput.documentPoint);
      if (node instanceof go.Node) {
        // create and show tooltip about why linking fails for this node,
        // but don't re-create the same tooltip Adornment all the time
        if (this.diagram.toolManager.currentToolTip === null ||
            this.diagram.toolManager.currentToolTip.adornedPart !== node) {
          // create a GoJS tooltip, an Adornment
          var tt = $(go.Adornment, "Auto",
                      $(go.Shape, { fill: "#FFFFCC" }),
                      $(go.TextBlock, { margin: 4 },
                        "Unable to connect to node '" + node.data.text +
                        "'\nbecause the text does not contain the letter 'e'."));
          this.diagram.toolManager.showToolTip(tt, node);
        }
      } else {
        // assume don't want to show tooltip when mouse is not over a node
        this.diagram.toolManager.hideToolTip();
      }
    },
    "linkingTool.copyPortProperties": function(realnode, realport, tempnode, tempport, toend) {
      go.LinkingTool.prototype.copyPortProperties.call(this, realnode, realport, tempnode, tempport, toend);
      this.diagram.toolManager.hideToolTip();
    },

Note that if your app allows the user to reconnect existing links (Link.relinkableFrom or Link.relinkableTo are true), then you’ll want to override the methods on the RelinkingTool as well.

Thank You Walter For your constant support. Your solution works for me.
I have one issue, the hover delay time doesn’t seem to work.

Inside My diagram object I have set:

“toolManager.hoverDelay” : 2000,
“linkingTool.linkValidation”: checkLink,
“relinkingTool.linkValidation”: checkLink,
“linkingTool.setNoTargetPortProperties”: function(tempnode, tempport, toend) { …

So Ideally, it should wait for 2 seconds before showing the toolTip text box. Currently as soon as the link points the wrong node, it throws up that tooltip text.

Yes, the tooltip is shown immediately due to the call to ToolManager.showToolTip.

I think you could implement a delay by overriding several methods on LinkingTool (and RelinkingTool, if applicable to your app). Override LinkingTool.DoMouseMove to call the base method and then also call:

if (this.isActive) {
        this.standardWaitAfter(this.diagram.toolManager.hoverDelay, this.diagram.lastInput);
    }

Also override LinkingTool.doWaitAfter to actually call ToolManager.showToolTip if appropriate and otherwise to call ToolManager.hideToolTip.

I believe this is the right strategy, but I haven’t tried this to make sure it works.